In the summer of 2011 my mom fell and broke her wrist. Not long after that she started limping while she walked. It was originally diagnosed as a pinched nerve in her back. No amount of physical therapy offered any change. Her limp just got worse. In May of 2012 we received the devastating news that she had ALS. This forced her to retire. A year later she can hardly walk, and can hardly talk. ALS is a horrible disease. This blog is just a way for me to vent.
Wednesday, July 10, 2013
My First Post - Stating the Obvious: I HATE ALS
So I don't even know where to begin. I have thoughts all day long that I want to record, but by the time I get to the computer I just can't seem to think of what to say. Everyday I'm heartbroken. I don't want pity - that would be selfish of me. You will find, though, at times I am selfish - sometimes very selfish. It's not a trait I'm proud of. This is something my mother has NEVER been. I've never seen her put herself before others. This isn't an exaggeration either. While I am stubborn like my mom I do not possess the same blessed soul as she. As she struggles to figure out how to live now being almost completely dependent on others to meet her physical needs, I mourn. I actually dreamt today during a nap I took on her couch that she started getting better. I dreamt she was standing in her kitchen making a batch of cookies for the kids. I woke up feeling happy for a split moment thinking it was true. That split second in the realm between sleep and being fully awake was gut-wrenching. What a cruel, cruel dream. I hate ALS and everything about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment